About the Island
Discover Cayman Brac
A tropical island getaway, Cayman Brac is located in the warm Caribbean Sea. The islands are situated south of Cuba, northwest of Jamaica and approximately 450 miles south of Miami, FL. The Brac, as the island is commonly referred to, is the most easterly of the Cayman Islands. With a total land mass of 14 square miles, the island is small enough to maintain a peaceful, tranquil atmosphere but big enough to have a plethora of hidden caves, winding trails and a unique cultural history.
The official language of the Cayman Islands is English, but Caymanians have a distinct accent, often compared to Creole.
Interesting Cayman Brac Facts
- National Symbols (Cayman Islands)
- Flag – Cayman Islands Flag
- Anthem - "God Save The Queen"
- Song - "Beloved Isle Cayman"
- Bird – Cayman Parrot
- Flower – Banana Orchid
- Tree – Silver Thatch Palm
- Dish – Turtle Stew
- Dance – Quadrille
- The Brac is divided into five districts:
- Spot Bay
- Watering Place
- Stake Bay
- West End
- There are however many towns in between that you’ll get to know more about once you visit.
- Population: 2098ppl (2010 Census)
- We drive on the LEFT side of the road
Did you know?
- The oldest Museum in the Cayman Islands is located in Cayman Brac – Cayman Brac Museum
- Cayman Brac and Little Cayman were discovered a few years earlier than Grand Cayman
- Cayman Brac has the highest elevation in the Cayman Islands – approximately 152 feet
- Cayman Brac is the home of the authentic Cayman Catboat, built in 1904 by Daniel Jervis
- Cayman Brac has an International Airport: Gerrard Smith International Airport
- A haven for a multitude of bird species, Cayman Brac has a Parrot Reserve created by the National Trust of the Cayman Islands
- The first Bracker honoured by Her Majesty the Queen was Mr. Guy A. Banks, MBE., in 1971.
- The first Royal visit to Cayman Brac was by HRH Princess Alexandra on 2nd November, 1988.
- Buccaneers Inn was the first hotel, featuring the first swimming pool, built in Cayman Brac in 1953 by Capt. R.C. Foster.
- On 24th March 1968, Cayman Brac held its first meeting of Legislative Assembly.
- At one time the children of Cayman Brac went to Little Cayman for schooling.
My Cayman Brac
Members gain access
to contests, downloads,